Friday, November 7, 2008

Crunch Time.

+

The last month of school really makes or breaks your grade. The are often three scenarios you might find yourself in.

1. If you didn't do shit in the beginning of the semester, it now has really bitten you in the ass because you know find yourself trying to dig yourself out of the hole you put yourself in the first place. You are now finding ways and asking your teaching for extra credit. But the teacher cannot offer any extra credit unless the extra credit could be offered toeveryone. You now consider your teacher douche and now are contemplating whether or not you should drop the class.

2. Your in the borderline of getting an acceptable grade. For example, you have a 95% or 85% or 75%. Of course you want the highest grade you could get so you find yourself super hard trying to get the superior grade. The next couple of tests determine if you get the higher letter or the lower letter. You're going to pass but you want a little more than that. Your trying to squeeze what's ever left in the fruit. If you fuck up, you will get the lower grade will be infested with AIDS.

3. Your grade is inevitable. Pass or fail the final, you get the same grade. You're happy. Life is good, you drink beer.

This part of the semester is very crucial. Out of the four classes, I have no confirmed grade. All my classes have two tests left + the final. It if very vital that I work extremely hard to get the grade I want. In Soc, I've had two tests and have gotten 2 A's on them. I have two more tests left, not including the final. All I have to do is do well on these tests. In Writing, I've gotten an A on one of my essays. We yet have to recieve two other essays and have two more essays to write in there. In Statistics, I've been working hard. I have a 95% in the class with two more tests plus a comprehensive final. And finally in Pysch, I have a 82% with TWO more tests left. To obtain at least a B average, I have to get B's or A's in both.

These past couple of weeks, I actually learned something that I have never really took real thought of. Good grades means hard work. In the past, everything came natural to me. High school was as easy as tying shoes. It was all regurgitated information with additional stuff that didn't't really matter. High school was in such a way that all I had to was either show up and take a test or cheat and pass. Studying was never really a major factor to my success. Everything came easy.

Now starting college, everything I'm learning is new, which has bitten me in the ass. I've learned that I actually have to earn my grade. Being liked by and being friends with my teachers and doing the homework isn't enough anymore. I have never studied so hard in my life. I find myself staying home on weekend nights just to study, something I've always shunned have made fun of.
In the beginning of the semester, I was studying but was not producing results. The problem was, I wasn't studying. I wasn't taking it seriously. Mediocre grades is what usually was produced. I really considered if education was really for me. If pursuing high education was really in my life plan.

However, I learned that every that should fall in place...will fall into place. As of late, I have been successful in tests, homework, and quizzes. Why? Because I was retaining information rather than just reading. Which is a total big difference. I am taking an extra effort in studying. I think this a me turning a new page in my journey of education. I've learned that school is hard work and that nothing in life comes easy. Natural talent and intelligence is no longer enough. To be that much better, you have to work that much harder.

However I do this semester, no matter what grades I get, I will accept it and move on. This is my learning experience. This is me getting my feet wet in this bullshit called college. I no longer have that excuse, "I just started college" or "I'm the youngest person in the class". That doesn't mean SHIT. Age doesn't matter and class rank or class grade or whatever. I'm going to take this first semester and go from there.

All I could do is try my hardest, hope the best, and pray to the big Hommie God and he'll see whats up with it.

jerome.
kick it to 2nd gear.

No comments: